Research to date from the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) and the Prime Human Performance Institute in Durban have concluded that rooibos plays a preventative role in exercise-induced oxidative stress.
“Athletes would benefit from rooibos tea’s powerful army of antioxidants that fight inflammation and boost circulation, in order to help heal damaged muscle tissue,” Du Toit said in a statement
A study by Prof Jeanine Marnewick found the following: “that Rooibos plays a preventative role in exercise-induced oxidative stress. In other words, Rooibos’ abundance of antioxidants works in unison to resist cell damage which often occurs during high-intensity bursts of exercise “
According to Prof Simeon Davies "that these studies have demonstrated that during repeated exhaustive exercise bouts Rooibos can reduce physical fatigue allowing for improved performance – both crucial factors in sport."
Rooibos contains measurable levels of calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, sodium, potassium and zinc, which offers athletes the critical electrolytes and minerals they need for sustained performance.
Many Sports drink concentrate on sodium, calcium, potassium, and magnesium, however manganese, copper and zinc are also known to have significant roles in body function and performance. Iron is known to be important for general health with many are getting the necessary amount required in their daily life. As athletes use more iron when exercising, it’s an important mineral to replenish.
- Iron - Necessary for transporting oxygen in the blood.
- Potassium - Essential in the generation of the electrical impulses that allow muscles and the brain to function.
- Calcium - Necessary for strong teeth and bones.
- Copper - Prevents aging and important in energy production.
- Zinc - Essential for cell growth, a strong immune system and wound healing.
- Magnesium - Necessary for nerve and muscle function.
- Manganese - Necessary for healthy cells and bones.
- Sodium - Necessary for fluid balance.
“In gist, oxidative stress can be defined as an imbalance between oxidants and antioxidants in favor of oxidants – also known as free radicals. Since oxidants are unstable molecules, they can cause damage to vital cell components, such as genetic material, lipids and proteins. Free radicals are derived from organisms and cells inside the body and the outside environment, such as cigarette smoke, heavy metals, pesticides and certain medication, but can also occur as a result of strenuous exercise when our bodies use oxygen to produce energy.
“To prevent free radical damage, the body has a natural defense system of antioxidants that can combat the damage caused by oxidants, but it’s often not sufficient under certain conditions such as strenuous physical activity.
“The initial oxidative stress study already showed that drinking Rooibos in a concentrated form – equivalent to six cups a day – boosted performance during repeated arm flexion/extension work by around 5%, which may have interesting implications for usage in elite sports where every percentage point counts during competition, but may also allow for improved training that could in itself elevate competition times,” says Prof Davies.
According to scientists rooibos also contains other plant chemicals which account for its short-term effects in calming the nervous system and the gastrointestinal system. This should help reduce jitters and it’s also a great option prior to bed as it has relaxing effects that can promote a better sleep.
Rooibois can be drunk before, during, and after Training.
- One Indalo Rooibos teabag per cup (250 ml) of boiling water for at least five minutes.
- Steeping it for longer will increase the antioxidant content of the tea by 30%.
- Don’t pour boiling water directly on the teabag as this will destroy the antioxidants.
- The tea can then be enjoyed immediately or stored in the fridge.
Indalo tea espresso rooibos capsules - higher concentration of antioxidants than regular cup of Rooibos Tea (compatible with all Nespresso machines except the VertuoLine)
- Run a shot of water through your machine before use to rinse out any residual coffee flavors
- Insert 1 capsule into your Nespresso machine