The cake in this recipe is delicious (even if you are not a chocolate cake lover). It's not too sweet and it has a wonderful Rooibos aftertaste.
- 2 lungo rooibos tea shots (equal to 1 cup rooibos concentrate)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease 2 cake pans with non-stick spray (or butter if you prefer).
- Make 2 Lungos with your rooibos tea espresso or Leave the rooibos teabag to steep in the boiling water for about 4 minutes (until strong).
- Add the cocoa powder to the tea and mix well till smooth.
- Add the sugar to the egg yolks and whisk until fluffy.
- Add oil, vanilla essence and cocoa rooibos mixture to egg yolk and sugar, mix well
- Sift flour, baking powder & salt, add to cocoa mixture and mix well
- Beat the egg whites on high until soft peaks form, then fold in to the cocoa mixture gently
- Pour the batter into the 2 prepared cake tins
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes (depending on your oven, always check with toothpick to make sure it’s done in the middle)
- Once done, leave to cool completely
Rooibos Vanilla Frosting Ingredients
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 Rooibos Espresso Shots
- Place softened butter in a mixer bowl
- Pour over the Rooibos Tea Espresso and add vanilla essence
- Add 1 cup of the sugar and start mixer.
- Keep adding more sugar to get the proper frosting consistency
- Spread about 1/2 the frosting on the bottom cake layer.
- Place the top layer and spread the remaining frosting.
- Decorate with chopped nuts (optional)