A lovely orange rooibos flavored cake with rooibos drizzle. A delightful sweet, airy confection for a tea party or any excuse really. My kids ate this one up in one sitting.
For the Orange Rooibos Cake:
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tspn baking powder
- 1/4 tspn baking soda
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional, but recommended)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 teaspoon if using imitation vanilla flavoring)
- 1/4 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Shot Rooibos Espresso
For The Rooibos Glaze:
- 1-2 shots Rooibos Espresso
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Orange Zest (and lemon optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 6 cup bundt or a 9 inch round pan with non-stick spray.
- First cream the butter and sugar and then continue to add all the wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients.
- While the mixer is on slowly integrate the dry ingredients into the mixture.
- Transfer to a pan and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once done, leave to cool completely
- Start with 1 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Slowly add the rooibos espresso shot and stir.
- This takes a little trial and error or adding either powdered sugar or espresso liquid till you have the correct consistency to drizzle over your cake. You do not want it too thick that you cannot pour it but you do not want it to watery that it just absorbs into the cake.
- Stir in some orange zest.
- Take a fork and drizzles the glaze over the cake. Feel free to garnish with some lemon or orange slices.
- Enjoy. Try not to eat the whole thing in one sitting.
Please note that if you do not have a nespresso maker to make the concentrated shots of Rooibos tea for your baking, you can create your own concentrate by soaking 4 rooibos teabags in 1 cup hot water for 5-10 minutes.